HUD Rental Assistance
Description of Program
- The Section 8 Voucher Program of The Housing Authority is a federally funded rental subsidy program for low income persons residing in Iowa County area.
- The Housing Authority obtains Rental Assistance funds from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) by demonstrating need through an application process.
Structure of the Program
The program is designed to give eligible families freedom-of-choice in finding an existing, decent, safe and sanitary rental unit under rent guidelines (payment standards) established by the government.
- An applicant who meets the eligibility requirements will be placed on the waiting list until a voucher becomes available.
- Applicant locates a rental unit within the Iowa County area.
- The housing unit must pass a required health and safety inspection to determine if it meets federal Housing Quality Standards (HQS).
- Applicants may stay in their present unit if the unit passes inspection. Inspections are completed to ensure decent, safe and sanitary housing.
- Once an approved unit has been located, the applicant will pay an adjusted affordable amount for rent. In general, the family pays 30% of their adjusted gross income for rent plus utilities, and the program pays the balance.
Applicants must be a very-low income family (The term "family" also includes elderly, disabled, and single individuals as defined by government regulations.)
Eligibility is based upon gross annual income and number of people in the family*
* Please contact the Dodgeville office for the requirements in Dodgeville.
NOTE: Eligibility does not mean immediate placement. If the applicant appears to be eligible, the applicant is then placed on the waiting list.
Available Assistance Programs
SWCAP works in cooperation with the Dodgeville Housing Authority to provide rent assistance to very low income individuals and families in Iowa County.
- Under the Housing Choice Voucher Program, if the rent amount is within the established payment standard, the family pays 30% of their adjusted gross income for rent plus utilities and the program pays the difference.
- The family is not allowed to pay the difference above the established payment standard and the actual gross rent for the unit.
- The difference is added to the family's 30% rent amount, and that total cannot exceed 40% of the family's monthly adjusted income
Contact: Heather Bontreger
Phone: 608-935-2326 ext. 202
Mail: Dodgeville Housing Authority
100 E Fountain St
Dodgeville WI 53533
608-935-2326 ext 202